Personal Possessions Cover from
Offering a range of insurance services to students, graduates, nurses and young professionals.
Student Shield

Personal Possessions cover for students living in halls of residence

  • Student Contents and Personal Possessions cover for students living in halls of residence.
  • Wherever you live it is important to get protection for the things that are important to you.
  • Student Shield is an easy to arrange insurance cover, which has been designed to meet your needs.

Ready for a Quote?



Saxon Student Shield is arranged by UK General Insurance Limited on behalf Ageas Insurance Limited. The insurance policy remains in force until the end of the academic year as long as premiums are paid in full. 

The following tables provide only a summary of the main policy benefits and the terms and conditions. For full details of these and all the terms and conditions that apply you should read the policy document a copy of which will be provided on completion of your contract or at any time on request. On receipt of your policy document, you will have time to decide if you wish to cancel the policy. Please see "Your Right to Cancel" for more information. 

Quote me


What is covered?

Contents are the household goods, clothing, furnishings and electrical equipment in your room at the halls of residence. This section also includes loss of personal money, credit cards, replacement locks and keys, freezer food, water or oil meters, telephones and library books together with your legal responsibilities to third parties and as a tenant (including accidental damage to landlord's property).

What am I insured against?

Accidental loss of or damage to (including theft) of contents in your accommodation. You also have the option to extend your cover to include items anywhere in the UK (including sports equipment, pedal cycles and computer equipment).

How much am I insured for?

You select the cover you need for your contents based on your individual requirements, your contents are then insured for their full value (subject to a total value of 10,000) on a new for old basis, except for clothing and household linen where a deduction will be made for wear and tear (item limits apply).

Policy Benefits and limits that apply


Limits Maximum amount
Collections of CDs, DVDs, other media £500
Personal Money (For theft from your room following forcible entry) £50
Credit/Debit Card Fraud £500
Legal Responsibilities to Third Parties (for injury to others or damage to their property) £1,000,000
Legal Responsibilities as a Tenant (for theft or damage to landlords property) £5,000
Locks & Keys (replacement locks or keys if they are stolen) £150
Freezer Food (following the mechanical failure of a fridge/freezer) £25
Desktop Computer Equipment (Excludes Laptop computers) £1250


Where are they covered?

Your contents are covered whilst in your room at , whilst in your custody or control in any building on college or university campus within term time, whilst in locked storage in a college or university storage area on campus or whilst in direct transit from your room to or from your permanent home address, in the United Kingdom at the beginning and end of published term time.

What is not insured?

For most claims you will be responsible for the excess, the first part of any claim that you must pay. This is £25 for most claims and £30 for Legal Expenses.

Our Saxon student insurance products exclude mobile phone cover. If you require cover for a mobile phone, this cover will need to be purchased separately. Please click here to get a quote for mobile phone insurance.

As with any insurance policy, we provide specific cover along with conditions and exclusions to that cover.

Please note that the policy does not cover maintenance, wear and tear, anything which happens gradually, electrical, mechanical or electronic breakdown, rot, radioactive contamination, sonic bangs, pollution and contamination and date change and computer virus. No insurance policy covers all eventualities and you are strongly recommended to review the full policy wording before making your purchase to ensure that the policy meets your requirements.

What else can be insured?


This covers your clothing and portable possessions anywhere in the UK and includes books and similar college or university property on loan. Cover for this section is selected in units of £500 based on your individual requirements (item limits apply).


This covers clothing and items specifically designed for sports anywhere in the UK. Cover is available for either £500 or £1,000.


This covers musical instruments anywhere in the UK. Cover is available for either £500 or £1,000


If your pedal cycle is worth more than £1,000, please click here to get a quote on our separate specialist pedal cycle insurance where you can insure your bike(s) up to £3,000.


This covers your desktop PC and its peripherals and accessories whilst in your room, on campus or in direct transit to or from your permanent home address within the United Kingdom at the beginning and end of published term time. Cover is available for either £1,250 or £2,500.


This covers portable computer equipment anywhere in the UK. Cover is available for either £1,250 or £2,500.


Cover is automatically included up to £1,000,000 for accidental injury to others or accidental damage to their property.


Cover is automatically included up to £5000 for accidental damage to Landlords property and the cost of repairing accidental damage to underground services supplying your room.


You can insure yourself against accidental injury whilst participating in some sporting activities, the cover provided is detailed in the following schedule of benefits:

Broken/Fractured Bones (excluding teeth) £200 per accident
Admittance to Hospital £30 per night - maximum 400 nights
Accidental Death £10,000
Permanent Total Disablement £20,000
Loss of use of a shoulder/elbow/hip/knee/ankle/wrist £3,000
Loss of two eyes or two or more limbs £20,000
Loss of two ears £4,000
Loss of one thumb £3,000
Loss of one forefinger £2,000
Loss of any other finger or big toe £1,000
Loss of any other toe £200



Cover available up to £20,000.
We will pay you or your estate up to the sum insured shown in your schedule in any one period of insurance in respect of reimbursement of course fees (which are non-refundable) and/or rent paid in advance or due under a signed rental agreement subject to a 14 day deferred period if you:

  • Become temporarily totally disabled as a result of sickness or accidental bodily injury which results in your disablement and are unable to remain in your rental accommodation and/or continue on your course.
  • Are fatally injured.
  • Suffer from an illness that results in death.

Cover for section 1-9 is underwritten by Ageas Insurance Limited.


Gives you up to £30,000 Legal Expenses Cover covering disputes in relation to: Personal Injury, Consumer Disputes, Home Rights, Employment, Criminal Prosecution Defence & Education


By completing this online application, your demands and needs are those of a student living in rented accommodation and wishing to insure your personal possessions against theft, loss or accidental damage whilst in your accommodation.

If you have selected the appropriate option on the online form, you wish to extend your cover to include items anywhere in the UK.

You will not receive advice or a recommendation from us. After reading the information on the website you will need to make your own choice about how to proceed.

We only offer products from Ageas Insurance Limited for student contents insurance.

A fee of £3.00 will be charged for providing this service.


If having examined your policy you decide not to proceed with the insurance, you will have 14 days to cancel it starting on the day you receive your policy documentation.

To cancel, please write to Saxon at the address shown in the policy schedule. On receipt of your notice, we will refund any premiums already paid, except when you have already made a claim under your policy.


It is the intention to give you the best possible service but if you do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim you should follow the Complaints Procedure below:

Complaints regarding:


Please contact Saxon Insurance who arranged the Insurance on your behalf.

Complaints Officer, Saxon Insurance, UK and Ireland Insurance Services (Online) Limited, The Stables, Old Co-op Yard, Warwick Street, Manchester, M25 3HB

If your complaint about the sale of your policy cannot be resolved by the end of the next working day, Saxon Insurance will pass it to:

Customer Relations Department, UK General Insurance Limited, Cast House, Old Mill Business Park, Gibraltar Island Road, Leeds, LS10 1RJ
Tel: 0345 218 2685


Direct Group Ltd, Customer Relations, Quay Point, Lakeside Boulevard, Doncaster, DN4 5PL Tel: 0344 854 2072

In all correspondence please state that your insurance is provided by UK General Insurance Limited and quote scheme reference 05344C.

If it is not possible to reach an agreement, you have the right to make an appeal to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This also applies if you are insured in a business capacity and have an annual turnover of less than €2million and fewer than ten staff. You may contact the Financial Ombudsman Service at:

The Financial Ombudsman Service,
Exchange Tower,
Harbour Exchange Square,
E14 9GE
Tel: 0300 123 9123

The above complaints procedure is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you are unhappy have a query or complaint regarding the Legal Expenses section you can contact:

The Managing Director, Legal Insurance Management Ltd, 1 Hagley Court North, The Waterfront, Brierley Hill, West Midlands, DY5 1XF.


Ageas Insurance Limited is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme, if they cannot meet their obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Most insurance contracts are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit. You can get more information about compensation scheme arrangements from the FSCS or visit


The law and language applicable to the policy

Both you and we can choose the law that will apply to the contract. This policy is governed by Scottish law if you live in Scotland and English law if you live elsewhere in the United Kingdom unless it says differently anywhere else in the policy.
The language used in this policy and any communication relating to it will be in English.


This Insurance is arranged by: UK & Ireland Insurance Services (Online) Ltd with UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Ageas Insurance Limited, Registered in England No.354568. Registered Office: Ageas House, Tollgate, Eastleigh, Hampshire, S053 3YA.

With effect from1st October 2013 the registered address of Ageas Insurance Limited is Ageas House, Hampshire Corporate Park, Templars Way, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO53 3YA.

UK General Insurance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Ageas Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

This can be checked on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website at or by calling the FCA on 0800 111 6768.